Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Temple of Wings
Bernard Maybeck/A. Randolph Monroe, Architects; 1911
—Edna Deakin/Clarence Dakin, Architects; 1924 —
designated in 1992
The Berkeley Fire of 1923 burned all but the columns and the home was rebuilt with more conventional rooms. It was remodeled again after the Boynton family sold it in 1994.
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 52.848′ N, 122° 15.382′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Buena Vista Way, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2800 Buena Vista Way, Berkeley CA 94708, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Annie and Bernard Maybeck House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jensen House Hillside School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Daley’s Scenic Park Street Improvenents (approx. 0.2 miles away); La Loma Steps (approx. ¼ mile away); Allenoke Manor (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Annie's Oak" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rose Walk (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Also see . . . Temple of Wings - BAHA: Berkeley Landmarks. High on a Berkeley hillside stands an unusual structure. Called the Temple of Wings, it served as the home and dance studio of Florence Treadwell Boynton and, until the mid-1980s, for her daughter Sulgwynn and son-in-law Charles Quitzow. (Submitted on March 24, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 532 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 24, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.