LaGrange in LaGrange County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Commemorating LaGrange Centennial 1836 - 1936
LaGrange County was established by act of the Indiana Legislature in 1832, sixteen years after Indiana was admitted as a state in 1816. The county and county seat were named after “LaGrange” the estate of General LaFayette in France.
Tradition has it that this region was first visited by the white man in 1676 when a French missionary reported to have traveled it enroute from the St. Joseph river to the Indiana village of Kehionga now Ft. Wayne. LaSalle is believed to have visited the region four years later.
This territory was inhabited by the Potowatomi Indians. Mongaquiong, near the present site of Howe and Shipshewana Village on the shores of Shipshewana Lake were important Indian Villages.
The first white settlement was at Howe, formerly Lima, in 1828, one of the first towns north of Ft. Wayne. The first college west of Oberlin, Ohio, the LaGrange Collegiate Institute, was established at Ontario five miles northeast, in 1837.
The county seat was removed from Lima to LaGrange in 1844. LaGrange was incorporated in 1855.
LaGrange county has more than fifty lakes and five streams. Her fertile lands
Location. 41° 38.671′ N, 85° 25.09′ W. Marker is in LaGrange, Indiana, in LaGrange County. Marker is on North Detroit Street south of Michigan Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located on the East sidewalk of the LaGrange County Courthouse in LaGrange, Indiana. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 North Detroit Street, Lagrange IN 46761, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. LaGrange County Civil War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); LaGrange County Honor Rolls - W. W. I, Korea, and Other Service (a few steps from this marker); LaGrange County Organized 1832 (a few steps from this marker); LaGrange County American Revolution Memorial (a few steps from this marker); LaGrange County Spanish American War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); LaGrange County W. W. II Honor Rolls (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lagrange Phalanx (approx. 7.9 miles away); Shipshewana (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LaGrange.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 351 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 26, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.