Johnstown in Cambria County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
On May 31, 1889, George T. Swank, editor and publisher of the Johnstown Tribune, was preparing the weekly issue of the paper on the second floor of this building. The rising waters outside drew him to the office windows to report on the situation below. At 2:30 p.m. he noted that the water stood about a foot deep on Franklin Street. Downstairs, Postmaster Herman Baumer had closed up the post office and gone home. The Tribune staff had given up trying to print the newspaper and was restlessly awaiting the recession of the waters, as were the rest of the marooned Johnstowners.
"It is idle to speculate," Swank wrote, "what would be the result if the tremendous body of water...should be thrown into the already submerged Conemaugh Valley."
Location. 40° 19.481′ N, 78° 55.091′ W. Marker is in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, in Cambria County. Marker is on Franklin Street near Main Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 Franklin Street, Johnstown PA 15901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joseph Johns (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central Park (about 300 feet away); Greater Johnstown Flood Victims Johnstown Veterans and War Memorial (about 400 feet away); The Grand Army of the Republic Hall (about 500 feet away); Sgt. John T. Boxler (about 600 feet away); World War II Memorial (about 600 feet away); 1936 Greater Johnstown Flood Victims (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnstown.
Also see . . .
1. History of the Johnstown Flood. (Submitted on March 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Johnstown Flood National Memorial. (Submitted on March 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Communications • Disasters • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 406 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.