Marathon in Brewster County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
As Maravillas Creek developed from a draw into water channel, old water hole vanished. About 1900 a rancher, George Miller, dug two wells and put up twin windmills. After that site was called Double Mills.
Became campsite for ranchers driving cattle and horses from Mexico or the Chisos Mountains to the railroad at Marathon. Also for wagon trains of ore; and for U.S. troops on border duty.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1258.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Comanche Trail into Mexico marker series.
Location. 29° 44.569′ N, 103° 9.648′ W. Marker is in Marathon, Texas, in Brewster County. Marker is on U.S. 385, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in small rest stop, on left, going south on 385. Marker is in this post office area: Marathon TX 79842, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The U.S. Army Camel Experiment (a few steps from this marker); Comanche Trail (approx. 5.8 miles away).
Categories. • Anthropology • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.