Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Anderson Regional Airport
The first municipal airport in Anderson was just a grassy field located near where the Civic Center now stands. An historical marker notes the site where Amelia Earhart landed there on November 14, 1931.
In the early 1930s land was purchased from J. Roy Pennell to create the current airport During World War II the grass airship was paved and served pilots learning tactical bombing techniques. Samuel L. "Dean" Prince, a former Dean of the University of South Carolina School of Law, served as General Chairman of the Anderson Airport Dedication Committee in 1938.
A native born Andersonian and aviator, Ben F. Johnson, Jr., began flying in 1936 and taught many to fly during over 50 years in the aviation field. He was affectionately known as "Mr. Anderson Airport".
On December 7, 1998, in an effort to convey to the public the extent of the airport's impact on the Upstate, the name was changed from "Anderson County Airport" to "Anderson Regional Airport".
Erected 1999 by Anderson County Council and the Anderson County Museum Commission.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5805 Airport Road, Anderson SC 29626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oliver Bolt's Cotton Gin (approx. 0.7 miles away); Vietnam Veterans Monument (approx. 2Ĺ miles away); Dr. Samuel Marshall Orr House (approx. 3 miles away); Site of Rose Hill -- 1794 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Anderson County Veterans Monument (approx. 3.2 miles away); Anderson Mills (was approx. 3.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Westview Cemetery World War Casualties Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); Orr Mill Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); St. Paul's Baptist Church -- 1865 (approx. 3.4 miles away); Anderson County Fire Fighters Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . .
1. Anderson Regional Airport. The Anderson Regional Airport serves the citizens and businesses of Anderson County and surrounding areas. (Submitted on March 27, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Anderson Regional Airport. Anderson Regional Airport (IATA: AND, ICAO: KAND) is a public airport located 3 miles (5 km) southwest (Submitted on March 27, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. First Lady of the Skys. Marker erected near the Anderson Civic Center in honor of Amelia Earhart's landing in Anderson in 1931. (Submitted on March 27, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. J. Roy Pennell. James Roy Pennellís road to success was literally of his own making. (Submitted on March 27, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Samuel Lander Prince. Beloved Dean of the University of South Carolina Law School from 1946 until 1959, Samuel L. Prince was born in Williamston, the son of Circuit Judge George E. Prince. (Submitted on March 27, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Air & Space •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 27, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.