Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Niagara-on-the-Lake in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
 

Niagara Harbour and Dock Company

 
 
Niagara Harbour and Dock Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 27, 2011
1. Niagara Harbour and Dock Company Marker
Inscription. Formed by local businessmen in 1831, the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company created a shipping basin here on the Niagara River by hiring hundreds of labourers to excavate a riverside marsh. By the late 1830s the company employed close to 400 workers and was operating one of the busiest ports and shipyards in Upper Canada. The local economy boomed as the business prospered, then lapsed into recession after financial problems crippled the company in the late 1840s. The company's industrial complex was used to build railway cars and steamboats in the 1850s and 1860s. This building, the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company office between 1835 and 1853, was restored in 1998.
 
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, an agency of the Government of Ontario.
 
Location. 43° 15.267′ N, 79° 3.824′ W. Marker is in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is on Ricardo Street just east of Melville Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in the downtown area of the community, down by the Niagara River water front, opposite a marina. It is situated in the middle of the block, on the side of the street opposite the waterfront. Marker is in this post office area: Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers.
Niagara Harbour and Dock Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 27, 2011
2. Niagara Harbour and Dock Company Marker
A distant view of the historical marker to the right of the yellow structure which was the company office building.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Butler's Rangers (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Locomotive Turntable (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Fortified Mouth of the Niagara River (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Fort George (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); A Strategic Site (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Fort Niagara (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Niagara National Historic Sites (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Welcome to Fort George (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & Commerce
 
Niagara Harbour and Dock Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 27, 2011
3. Niagara Harbour and Dock Company Marker
View, looking south on Ricardo Street, of both the historical marker in the right foreground, and the yellow office building just beyond the historical marker.
Niagara Harbour and Dock Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 27, 2011
4. Niagara Harbour and Dock Company Marker
View, looking north on Ricardo Street, of the yellow office building and the historical marker.
Niagara Harbour and Dock Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 27, 2011
5. Niagara Harbour and Dock Company Marker
View of the yellow office building as seen when looking through some of the boats that are tied up in the marina located in front of the building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 2, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement