Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond Hill in Bryan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Courthouse Annex

 
 
Courthouse Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2012
1. Courthouse Annex Marker
Inscription. This wood-frame structure, situated on a site known since the creation of Bryan County in 1793 as “the Crossroads”, was built in 1939 with funding provided by Henry Ford. The building came to be familiarly called “the Courthouse” by local citizens. For many years it was used for civic meetings and as the official Richmond Hill voting site. The local Masonic Lodge and Order of the Eastern Star organizations held their meetings in this facility. Later, city and county governmental offices were housed here.
 
Erected 2012 by Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail.
 
Location. 31° 56.917′ N, 81° 18.7′ W. Marker is in Richmond Hill, Georgia, in Bryan County. Marker is at the intersection of Henry Ford Avenue (Georgia Route 144) and Ellis Drive, on the right when traveling south on Henry Ford Avenue. Touch for map. The Courthouse Annex is approximately .05 southeast of US Highway 17, the "Crossroads" in Richmond Hill. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9930 Ford Avenue, Richmond Hill GA 31324, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Dead Town" of Hardwicke (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort McAllister (about 400 feet away);
Courthouse Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2012
2. Courthouse Annex Marker
Ways Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); J. F. Gregory (approx. 0.4 miles away); Henry Ford at Richmond Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robert E. Lee (approx. 0.4 miles away); Community House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Martha-Mary Chapel (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond Hill.
 
Additional keywords. Henry Ford
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Courthouse Annex and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2012
3. Courthouse Annex and Marker
Courthouse Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2012
4. Courthouse Annex Marker
Looking northwest from the marker: the gas station in the distance is at "The Crossroads," the intersection of US Highway 17 (Coastal Highway) and Georgia Highway 144 (Henry Ford Avenue).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 433 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 5, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement