Rome in Oneida County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Upper Landing Place
During the siege of Fort Stanwix in Aug. 1777, Sir John Johnson had a camp of his Loyalist Regiment near this spot, which was attacked and looted Aug. 6, by Lt. Col. Marinus Willett and 250 of the garrison. On his return from his subsequent raid on the camp at the Lower Landing place on the same day, Willett was attacked a short distance north of here by a body of Brig. Gen. Barry St.Leger's British regulars, drawn up on the opposite side of the river. Sharp firing ensued, the British being driven back and the garrison re-entering the fort with much booty from the raided camps.
Guarding the landing place 1755-56 stood Fort Williams.
Erected 1928 by New York State Historical Marker.
Location. 43° 12.178′ N, 75° 27.269′ W. Marker is in Rome, New York, in Oneida County. Marker can be reached from Canal Street east of Luquer Street. Touch for map. To see this historical marker one needs to travel south on Canal Street all the way to where the road ends at the junction
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Revolutionary Battlefields (approx. 0.4 miles away); Their voices heard... (approx. half a mile away); Fort Stanwix (approx. half a mile away); The Fort Community... (approx. half a mile away); Soldiers’ Quarters: Casemate (approx. half a mile away); Water for the Garrison (approx. half a mile away); Walking on an ancient trail... (approx. half a mile away); Southwest Bombproof: Storeroom and Siege Hospital (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rome.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 426 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 6, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.