Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Berkeley High School Industrial Arts and Science (G and H Buildings)
Henry H. Gutterson and William Corlett, Sr., Architects
—Jacques Schnier and Robert Howard, Sculptors —
City of Berkeley Landmark
designated in 1982
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 52.114′ N, 122° 16.348′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr Way and Allston Way on Martin Luther King Jr Way. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2201 Martin Luther King Jr Way, Berkeley CA 94703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Berkeley City Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); City Hall Annex (about 300 feet away); Berkeley Veterans Memorial Grove (about 500 feet away); Veterans Memorial Building (about 600 feet away); Federal Land Bank (about 600 feet away); Jos. H. McCourt / Bruno L. Putzker (about 700 feet away); Berkeley Y.M.C.A. (about 700 feet away); Framåt Lodge #405 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Also see . . .
1. Berkeley High School - BAHA. Toward the end of the 1930s, Berkeley High School undertook an extensive building program to replace older buildings and build new ones. The shop and science buildings, the Florence Schwimley Little Theater, and Berkeley High School Community Theater were designed in 1938 by architects Henry H. Gutterson and William Corlett, Sr. They are the only planned ensemble of Art Deco–style buildings in the city and are significant examples of the style in the Bay Area. (Submitted on April 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
2. History of Berkeley High - Berkeley Public Schools. In 1938/39, after acceptance of a master plan developed by William Gutterson, the G and H Buildings were built. The goal was to build the community theater in the early 1940′s. However, World War II intervened, and the building was not completed until 1949. (Submitted on April 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 568 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.