Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of the Kellogg School
At the time, high school attendance in California was not compulsory and many working class parents objected to paying taxes for a school their children might not attend and which was far from West Berkeley. With four graduates in 1884, the school became the first high school in the state to be accredited by the University of California.
In 1918 the building served as a place of worship for Berkeley’s First Hebrew Congregation. Later, commercial buildings were constructed on the site.
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 52.203′ N, 122° 15.967′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County Touch for map. This marker is on the Oxford Lane (Rue de Soleil) side of the building at 2136 Oxford Street. Marker is in this post office area: Berkeley CA 94704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ennor’s Restaurant Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Pedro Fages Expedition (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of John Hinkel Livery Stable, 1900 (about 400 feet away); Studio Building 1905-06 (about 600 feet away); Chamber of Commerce/Wells Fargo Bank (about 700 feet away); Francis Kittredge Shattuck Building (about 700 feet away); Roos Bros. Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tupper & Reed Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 442 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 11, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.