Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Abraham de Peyster
Alderman of the City of New York 1685; Mayor of that City, 1691-95.
Member of Earl Bellomontís Council, 1698, Assistant Judge of the Supreme Court, 1698.
Colonel Commanding, Regiment of Militia of City Trained Bands 1700
Chief Justice, 1700, President of the Kingís Council.
and thus, Acting Governor of the Province of New York, 1701.
Treasurer of the Province of New York and New Jersey, 1706-1721.
Born 8th July 1657. Died 2d August 1728.
Johannes dePeyster, Col. Abraham dePeysterís father was Burgomaster 1673
and Deputy Mayor NY 1677. Johannes dePeyster, another son, Mayor N.Y. 1698
Erected by his Gt. Gt. Gt. Grandson
John Watts dePeyster
Erected 1895 by John Watts dePeyster.
Location. 40° 2.612′ N, 76° 19.259′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Buchanan Avenue east of N West End Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in Buchanan Park, near the North Museum of Natural History & Science. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Buchanan (within shouting distance of this marker); Leo F. Hauck (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Tilden Sheckard (about 400 feet away); U.S.S. Maine Memorial (about 400 feet away); Ambulance Co. No. 111 † 28th Division A.E.F. (about 400 feet away); The Water Towers in Buchanan Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Privy (approx. half a mile away); James Buchanan Home (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
More about this marker. Memorial consists of a 7 foot bronze statue atop an 8½ foot tall granite base.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 474 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.