Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Water Towers in Buchanan Park
Near this site stood two water towers that for approximately seventy years were part of Lancasterís skyline. In the early twentieth century the Conestoga River was the sole source of public water in the city. As the west end grew, distance from the reservoir at the eastern end of the city resulted in insufficient water pressure in this neighborhood. At first the city constructed a reservoir in Buchanan Park, around the site of the wading pool, to increase water pressure, but when the reservoir failed the city built the two towers in 1925 and 1932, respectively. Franklin & Marshall students and townspeople alike referred to the older structure, with its pointed top, as George, and the younger tower, with is low dome, as Martha.
The water towers became obsolete when Lancaster began drawing its water supply from the Susquehanna River during the 1950s. Although some preservationists and nearby residents urged the city to preserve the towers as pieces of Lancasterís history, when the cost of maintenance exceeded their value as scrap metal, the city chose to demolish the towers in 1996.
< Second Marker : >
The City of Lancaster
Franklin & Marshall College
Carolyn and Robert S. Wohlsen Ď50
whose generosity made possible
major improvements to Buchanan Park in 2003
of the Water Towers.
Location. 40° 2.794′ N, 76° 19.24′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on W Frederick Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located at the north end of Buchanan Park, near Franklin & Marshall College. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S.S. Maine Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ambulance Co. No. 111 † 28th Division A.E.F. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leo F. Hauck (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Buchanan (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Tilden Sheckard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Abraham de Peyster (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wheatland (approx. half a mile away); James Buchanan Home (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
More about this marker. Relief images of the two water towers appear at the top of both markers.
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.