Marine on St. Croix in Washington County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Boom, Then Bust
"From here, the first log in the race,
Went forth to seek a dwelling place."
Harriet Bishop, Minnesota, Then and Now, 1869
The St. Croix River ranked second only to the Mississippi as a carrier of logs and lumber. The white pine logs from trees that lumberjacks felled in the winter were driven downstream to sawmills in the spring. Millions of logs were milled using water-and-steam-powered machinery. Between 1839 and 1895, more than 197 million board feet of lumber were milled here — enough to build some 18,000 "average-size" homes.
During its lifetime, this mill saw a succession of owner-operators.
David Hone and Lewis Judd operated the mill from 1839 until 1848, when the Marine Lumber Company became Judd, Walker and Company. Twenty years later, the firm was reorganized as the Walker, Judd and Veazie Lumber Company. That operation went bankrupt in 1885, but in 1888 the mill reopened under the ownership of the Anderson and O'Brien Company. Heavy logging depleted the timber of the St. Croix River valley, and in 1895 the mill was forced to close for good.
Erected by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Marker series. Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. 45° 11.879′ N, 92° 46.103′ W. Marker is in Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from Judd Street south of Maple Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marine on Saint Croix MN 55047, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Pineries are Gone (a few steps from this marker); Technological Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Marine Mill Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Powerhouse and Kiln (within shouting distance of this marker); Minnesota's First Commercial Sawmill (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Settler's Cabin (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marine (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Marine (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marine on St. Croix.
More about this marker. [photo captions, clockwise]
• Lumberjacks with white pine, 1910, Minnesota Historical Society
• Pine logs on horse drawn sleigh, 1900, Minnesota Historical Society
• Anderson and O'Brien Company mill, about 1890, Minnesota Historical Society
• Logs and wanigans (floating cook shacks
Also see . . . Minnesota Historical Society. Marine Mill. (Submitted on April 13, 2012.)
Additional keywords. National Register of Historic Places #70000311
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.