Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bar Harbor in Hancock County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
 

St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Welcomes You

 
 
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Welcomes You Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
1. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Welcomes You Marker
Inscription.
History
The founders of this parish named their congregation in honor of the Holy Saviour, Jesus, and in recognition of the first Christian mission, St. Sauveur, on the island by French Jesuits in 1613.

The Heartbeat of Life
God gives love and grace to all, calling each community to embody love, truth, and justice for all as signs of God's self-emptying love. We invite you to participate fully as together we worship God, care for creation, and respect the dignity of every human being.

Responding to the need for a place to gather and worship, the Episcopal Diocese of Maine purchased land on which to build a church in 1871, and the congregation completed the church building seven years later. By 1885 the congregation had outgrown the original sanctuary, which was reformed into transepts for a greatly enlarged church with rounded apse, Italian marble altar, and 90-foot central tower. Mrs. William Vanderbilt gave the Parish Hall for the Sunday school in 1888. At the turn of the 20th century, the congregation took the high altar and placed it in a grand sanctuary and chancel that provided room for a mixed-voice choir. In 1902 Mrs. John Harrison donated a small gatehouse to which C. Livingston added a large hall to create the Parish House. Mrs. Charles C. Jackson gave the Chapel of St. Mary, the
St. Saviour's Episcopal Church NRHP Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
2. St. Saviour's Episcopal Church NRHP Marker
Rectory, and the Cloister that connects them as memorials to her husband. In 2003 the congregation redesigned the grand Rectory and so opened the Rectory Commons to the congregation and the entire community while still providing housing for the parish clergy family. Today St. Saviour's is the oldest public building on Mount Desert Island.

Living Stone
Grateful for its historical foundation, the people of St. Saviour's Parish face each day in hope. With God's help, we seek to grow with others in compassion, joy, and justice.

The people of St. Saviour's have experienced the rise and collapse of several summer colonies and a disastrous 1947 fire; and they have had a hand in the founding of institutions like the Jackson Laboratory, the College of the Atlantic and some that no longer exist. Throughout the years, week in and week out, they have worshiped God and served their neighbors.

Stained Glass
Ten of our windows are by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Interested in trying to reproduce the type of glass used in medieval windows, Tiffany developed new ways to use glass in art. He is well known for Favrile glass, which has an iridescent character. He achieved a quality of realism in his windows by molding or overlapping layers of glass.

Forty-two memorial windows display a century of work by British, German, and American artists and
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Welcomes You Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2017
3. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Welcomes You Marker
St. Saviour's Church can be seen behind the marker.
commemorate saints and current events, such as the loss of a child at sea, a wife's recovery from cancer, and the founding of the Jackson Laboratory. The Russell Memorial depicts Jesus, a fisherman in a double ender, wearing a No'theaster and yellow slicker.

Music
The sound and rhythm of voices, organ, instruments, drums, and bells, are an integral part of worshiping God. In 1937 a peal of ten bells was cast with an inscription by William Pierson Hamilton, "Let the voice of the ringing of these bells be the voice of my gratitude for the recovery of my wife." The bells have rung out thanksgiving for peaceful accords, and alarm during conflict and strife. They inspire each day and call people to worship, weddings, and funerals.

The congregation installed a twenty-seven rank Visser-Rowland tracker organ in 1976 to provide support for a wide range of choral and instrumental music in Sunday worship and community concerts. The Parish Hall is a hub for public gatherings, 12-step programs and support groups.

Please come in. This House is for all.
Please care for this building and these stained glass windows by contributing to the Historic Preservation Fund, St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish, 41 Mt. Desert Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609. All gifts are tax deductable.

St. Saviour's Church, Bar Harbor
has been placed on the
National
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
4. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish and Marker
Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior
Built 1877
 
Erected by St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish.
 
Location. 44° 23.225′ N, 68° 12.408′ W. Marker is in Bar Harbor, Maine, in Hancock County. Marker is on Mt. Desert Street (Maine Route 3) near School Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41 Mt. Desert Street, Bar Harbor ME 04609, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Village Burying Ground (a few steps from this marker); The YWCA and Jesup Memorial Library (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Abbe Museum & Congregational Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Donald A. Wood Band Stand (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); The Village Green (about 600 feet away); The Kedge (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bar Harbor.
 
Also see . . .
1. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish. (Submitted on April 14, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Louis Comfort Tiffany. (Submitted on April 14, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
5. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish

 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicChurches, Etc.Man-Made Features
 
Map of St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Grounds on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, undated
6. Map of St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Grounds on Marker
Photo of St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, undated
7. Photo of St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window on Marker
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Altar image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
8. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Altar
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Sanctuary image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
9. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Sanctuary
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Sanctuary Windows image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
10. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Sanctuary Windows
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window Detail image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
11. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window Detail
In Loving Memory of Susan T. Washington
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
12. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window
In Thanksgiving
Barbara & Howard Winfield Russell
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
13. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window
In Loving Memory of Harry H. Thorddike
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
14. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window
In Loving Memory of Florence Worden
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
15. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window
In Loving Memory of John DeWitt Peltz
St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 21, 2011
16. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Window
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 606 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 14, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on July 21, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. submitted on April 14, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement