Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Fort Hancock Gas Station was operated by the Post Exchange. It was the only filling station on post where soldiers with privately owned vehicles could buy fuel or have them serviced.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.658′ N, 74° 0.166′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Magruder Road and Hudson Road, on the left when traveling north on Magruder Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chow Time! (within shouting distance of this marker); Handball Court (within shouting distance of this marker); Fire House Number 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); Young Men’s Christian Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Lighting the Way (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Exchange (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sandy Hook Light (about 300 feet away); Mortar Battery (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. A picture of the Filling Station appears on the background of the marker. It has a caption of “Built in 1936, the gas station was photographed in 1938.”
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 297 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.