Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The parade ground is one of the most important fixtures of any military post. Here troops drilled, formed for inspection, held morning calisthenics, and paraded and reviewed for senior military officers and visiting dignitaries.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 36.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.499′ N, 74° 0.224′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker can be reached from Magruder Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. It can be reached from the parking lot north of Guardian Park. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Just Like A Small Town (within shouting distance of this marker); NOAA Fisheries Service (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Dead House (about 500 feet away); This Is Why It’s Called Sandy Hook! The Best of Care (about 500 feet away); Sandy Hook Barracks Building #22 Built 1899 (about 600 feet away); New York Yankees vs. Hometown Sluggers (about 600 feet away); Hospital Steward’s Quarters (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a picture of “Troops tented on the Fort Hancock Parade Ground in 1913.” A photo on the upper left of the marker depicts “Troops on parade ground to mark the death of President Roosevelt in 1945.”
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 301 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.