Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Noncommissioned Officers and their families lived in this row of houses. Single NCOs lived in the barracks with their men. Today, these homes are residences for National Park Service staff. Please respect their privacy.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.703′ N, 74° 0.211′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearney Road and Lawson Lane, on the right when traveling north on Kearney Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lock’em Up! (a few steps from this marker); Post Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker); Young Men’s Christian Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Athletic Field (within shouting distance of Post Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Handball Court (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fill’er Up! (about 300 feet away); Post Commissary (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photograph of houses along Sergeants’ Row. It has a caption of “Built in 1898 and 1907, this photo shows the area in 1937.” A photograph at the lower left of the marker shows “Children on Sergeants’ Row about 1943.”
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.