Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Dead House
This was the morgue for the Post Hospital. The soldiers called it the Dead House. It was later used as a U.S. Army recruiting office.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 35.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.429′ N, 74° 0.259′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Hartshorne Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area, near the entrance to Fort Hancock. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hospital Steward’s Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); The Best of Care (within shouting distance of this marker); Just Like A Small Town (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Guns of Sandy Hook (about 400 feet away); Company, Attention! (about 500 feet away); Nike Ajax Explosion Memorial NOAA Fisheries Service (about 700 feet away); This Is Why It’s Called Sandy Hook! (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo of the morgue, which was built in 1905, as it appeared in 1938.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 513 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.