Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Here the commanding officer and his staff ran the day-to-day operations of Fort Hancock. A post of this size was usually commanded by a colonel.
During World War II, Fort Hancock was headquarters for all New York Harbor Defenses under the command of Brigadier General Philip S. Gage, Sr.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 32.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.689′ N, 74° 0.25′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Kearney Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located across from the flagpole in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lock’em Up! (within shouting distance of this marker); Sergeants’ Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Young Men’s Christian Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Bachelor Officers’ Quarters Barracks Row (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Exchange (about 300 feet away); Athletic Field (about 300 feet away); Handball Court (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo from around 1937 of the Post Headquarters, which was built in 1899. A photograph of Brig. Gen. Philip S. Gage, Sr. appears on the right side of the marker.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.