Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This warehouse was used to store uniforms, blankets, furniture, and other personal supplies for Fort Hancock’s garrison. The “Fort Hancock” painted on the roof was a marker for pilots. This was originally a two-story building and the third story was added in 1910. If you look closely, you can see the original roof line in the bricks.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.839′ N, 74° 0.273′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Kearney Road south of Jackson Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baked Fresh Daily! (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II Victory Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Theater (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); History House (about 300 feet away); Officers Row (about 400 feet away); Post Chapel (about 400 feet away); Fire House Number 1 (about 400 feet away); Mule Barn (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo from 1938 of the Storehouse, which was built in 1898.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.