Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This officer’s home, designed for a lieutenant and his family, was a testament to the rank and privilege of officers in the small peacetime army of the late 19th century.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 27.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.818′ N, 74° 0.325′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Kessler Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War II Victory Garden (a few steps from this marker); Post Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Quartermaster Storehouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Officers Row (about 300 feet away); A Late Addition to Officers Row (about 300 feet away); Baked Fresh Daily! Post Chapel (about 400 feet away); Fire House Number 1 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo of the History House and has a caption of “This was one of the first buildings completed at Fort Hancock in 1898, shown here in 1938.” A photo of a desk inside the house on the left side of the marker has the caption “This building is now called History House and is furnished as it would have appeared during World War II when Fort Hancock was busiest.”
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 294 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.