Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Late Addition to Oﬃcers Row
When Officers Row was built, this site was left vacant to allow space for the West Beacon Range Light. Ships traveling across Raritan Bay would line up the lighthouse and beacon lights to mark their way. After the West Beacon was demolished in the 1930s, this home was built to fill the empty space.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 29.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.762′ N, 74° 0.319′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Hartshorne Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War II Victory Garden (about 300 feet away); Barracks Row (about 400 feet away); Bachelor Officers’ Quarters (about 400 Post Commissary (about 400 feet away); Athletic Field (about 500 feet away); Quartermaster Storehouse (about 500 feet away); Post Headquarters (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a picture of “Officers Row and the Sandy Hook West Beacon, pictured here in 1902.” A photo at the lower left of the marker depicts “The newly built duplex Officers Quarters, 1939.”
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.