Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Master Mechanicís Quarters
Fort Hancock was home to both military personnel and a civilian population of contractors and specialists. The civilians who lived on post worked, shopped, and went to school alongside their military neighbors. The building that stood here was home of the civilian master mechanic at the Sandy Hook Proving Ground.
Sandy Hook Proving Ground operated from 1874 to 1919. Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 17.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 28.077′ N, 74° 0.3′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Canfield Road and Knox Road, on the right when traveling north on Canfield Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Locomotive Engineerís House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chemical Laboratory (about 400 feet away); Proving Ground Foremanís House Fort Hancock Officersí Club (about 500 feet away); Barracks, School, Headquarters (about 600 feet away); The World War II Years (about 700 feet away); Hasty Additions in Wartime (about 700 feet away); Battery Potter (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo of the Master Mechanicís Quarters, which was constructed in 1880, as it appeared in 1938.
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.