Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site: Wesleyan College
World’s First College Chartered to Grant Degrees to Women
The oldest sororities in the world were founded at Wesleyan: The Adelphean Society, now Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, 1851, and the Philomathean Society, now Phi Mu Fraternity, 1852. The world’s first alumnae association for a women’s college was organized at Wesleyan in 1859.
Through early years of doubt, Wesleyan bore witness that women were capable of receiving higher education. The motto on its seal -- Scienta et Pietas -- represents ideals which have inspired her graduates to go forth to the far corners of the earth to teach, to lead, to serve.
In 1928, the college moved six miles northwest to the new Rivoli campus. The Wesleyan Conservatory and school of Fine Arts remained in the original buildings until 1953 when they were transferred to Rivoli. Old Wesleyan College and the adjoining Pierce Chapel burned February 24, 1963.
Erected 1986 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 011-12.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 451 College Street, Macon GA 31213, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wesleyan College (a few steps from this marker); Birthplace of Sidney Lanier (approx. ¼ mile away); Cowles-Bond House (approx. ¼ mile away); The First Baptist Church of Christ (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Joseph's Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Judge Asa Holt House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fencing from Findlay Foundry (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier Georgia Historical Commission marker, titled "Old Wesleyan College -- 1836" which stood nearby. It was erected in the 1950s, and removed when the present post office was built (possibly the 1970s). It stands on the corner of the Post Office property.
Also see . . . Wesleyan College. The history of Wesleyan College from the college's web site. (Submitted on April 22, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Education • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 647 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 18, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.