Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Evangelic Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity
Fostered six other city congregations
First church erected 1734
Present building begun in 1761
Dedicated in 1766 by
Henry Melchior Muhlenberg,
Tower and steeple added 1785-1794
First Bible school organized 1828
Present parish house dedicated 1955
An early pastor (1780 to 1815) was
Gotthilf Henry Ernest Muhlengerg,
eminent botanist and first president
of present Franklin & Marshall College
Here lie the remains of
Thomas Wharton, Jr.
President of Pennsylvania 1777-78
Governor of Pennsylvania 1790-99
Location. 40° 2.248′ N, 76° 18.196′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Duke Street and E. Mifflin Street, on the left when traveling south on S. Duke Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Thomas Mifflin, Esq. (here, next to this marker); Thomas Wharton, Jr. (a few steps from this marker); Holy Trinity Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Demuth (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lancaster County (about 500 feet away); Fulton Opera House (about 600 feet away); George Ross (about 700 feet away); James Buchanan (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 20, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.