Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Edwardsville in Madison County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Fort Russell

 
 
Fort Russell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Alton Museum of History & Art, Inc
1. Fort Russell Marker
Inscription. One quarter-mile to the west stood Fort Russell, a wooden stockade which served as a base of supplies and operations for the Illinois Militia during the War of 1812. From here, for months at a time, Governor Ninian Edwards administered the affairs of Illinois Territory.
 
Erected 1934 by State of Illinois.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 38° 49.392′ N, 89° 57.944′ W. Marker was near Edwardsville, Illinois, in Madison County. Marker could be reached from Springfield Road near Illinois Route 159. Touch for map. GPS coordinates are approximate. Marker was in this post office area: Edwardsville IL 62025, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this location, measured as the crow flies. Edwardsville National Bank Clock (approx. mile away); First Cemetery in the City of Edwardsville (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Abraham Lincoln's Speech (approx. 0.9 miles away); Edwardsville (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ninian Edwards (approx. 0.9 miles away); In grateful memory of the early settlers. (approx. 1.1 miles away); In Memory of Dr. Thomas R. Yates (approx. 1.1 miles away); Cleaon Etzkorn Bandstand (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edwardsville.
 
Regarding Fort Russell. Fort Russell - Many blockhouses were erected in Illinois during the War of 1812, most of them defenses against attack by the Indians who were allied with the British. There were at least 22 such blockhouse-forts between old Kaskaskia and Alton in Madison County, with the largest and strongest of them being Fort Russell, just northwest of present Edwardsville. The fort was built by Governor Ninian Edwards and named for Colonel William Russell of Kentucky, who commanded ten companies of Rangers, organized by an act of Congress, to defend the western frontier against the British and Indians. Four of these companies were allotted to the defense of Illinois. At least five cannon were removed from Fort Chartres to arm Fort Russell. The only Army regulars stationed at the fort were there during spring of 1812 and constituted the garrison for only a few months. pp. 255-271, “Encyclopedia of Historic Forts” by Robert B. Roberts
 
Also see . . .
1. New & Views Fall 2010 (pdf file). Alton Museum of History & Art, Inc newsletter discusses Fort Russell and the marker. (Submitted on April 24, 2012, by Russ Grimm of Hampton, Virginia.) 

2. Archaeologists dig into Fort Russell's history. Edwardsville Intelligencer (04/03/12) (Submitted on April 24, 2012, by Russ Grimm of Hampton, Virginia.) 

3. Solving a local history question - Where was Fort Russell located? (pdf file). Edwardsville Intelligencer (08/05/10) (Submitted on April 24, 2012, by Russ Grimm of Hampton, Virginia.) 

4. Illinois War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission. Contact information and further details on the search for Fort Russell. (Submitted on April 24, 2012, by Russ Grimm of Hampton, Virginia.) 

5. Early United States Rangers, 1812-1815 by Larry E. Ivers (pdf file). Ranger Register (Volume XIII, Number 1) (Submitted on April 24, 2012, by Russ Grimm of Hampton, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesPatriots & PatriotismPoliticsWar of 1812
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2012, by Russ Grimm of Hampton, Virginia. This page has been viewed 956 times since then and 153 times this year. Last updated on April 23, 2012, by Russ Grimm of Hampton, Virginia. Photo   1. submitted on April 19, 2012, by Russ Grimm of Hampton, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement