Clintonville in Coffee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
January 11, 1860
This area was first known as Indigo Head. In 1845 one of the first voting precincts was located here. Clintonville post office established June 16, 1849.
Some of pioneer families were – Fleming, Brooks, Hutchison, Gunter, Sawyer, Goynes, Watson, Moates, Carmichael, Warren, Brock, Harding, Wilks, Peacock, and Helms.
Location. 31° 24.773′ N, 85° 53.574′ W. Marker is in Clintonville, Alabama, in Coffee County. Marker is on Alabama Route 51, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Brockton AL 36351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arwood School Site (approx. 3.9 miles away); Enterprise Academy (approx. 7 miles away); Boll Weevil Monument (approx. 7.2 miles away); Rawls Hotel (approx. 7.2 Enterprise Depot (approx. 7.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Wellborn (approx. 8.8 miles away); City of Elba (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 712 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.