Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
General Patrick R. Cleburne
General Patrick R. Cleburne
Born near Cork, Ireland came to U.S. 1849. Drug clerk in Ohio, became lawyer in Arkansas. Recruited 1st Arkansas Regt. for Confederacy. Elected colonel. Promoted brigadier general March 1862, made major general Dec. 1862. Rapidly earned reputation as a superb combat officer on numerous fields with Army of Tennessee. Eight Texas regiments of Granbury's Brigade were under Cleburne, and in 1864 Atlanta campaign he said, "The piles of the (Union) dead were silent but sufficient eulogy upon Granbury and his noble Texans." On Nov. 30, 1864 Cleburne, a savage fighter, met death six paces from the Federal lines in battle Franklin, Tenn. Became known as “Stonewall Jackson of the West.”
Erected 1964 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2837.)
Location. 32° 20.845′ N, 97° 23.195′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 171) and Chambers Street (Business U.S. 67), on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 North Main Street # 120, Cleburne TX 76031, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cleburne Town Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Middleton T. Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Godley (approx. 10.8 miles away).
1. "Named after"
Born on March 17th in Ireland Patrick was the suitable name for the Irish-born Arkansas Confederate. Besides Secretary of State Judah Benjamin, Major General Cleburne was the highest ranking officer in the Civil War not born in the US. My great great uncles and grandfather in Wathall's Division charged nearby the location in the battle of Franklin November 30, 1864 Cleburne's men had stood and the general himself killed.
"City named for Texas Confederate General Patrick Cleburne"
Fifty years ago on the Civil War Centennial the State of Texas raised a series of memorial markers across Texas. Modeled after State battlefield memorials in the East hundreds of "Named after Texas Confederate (or Hero)" these markers appeared across the large state. Each was designed with five sides of pink granite. The city of Lubbock, Lubbock County, Upton County, Stonewall County, Granbury, and Cleburne all have the pink markers with descriptions of the veterans. Every one starts with "County Named for Texas Confederate", "County Named for Texas Hero" (if, like Stonewall, from another State), "City named for Texas Confederate", and even "College named for Texas Confederate". The establishment of so many inscribed histories of historical Civil War characters across Texas are the places' names. Another part of the same design was the "CSA" series. Camp Leadbetter CSA, Fort Davis CSA, or El Paso CSA are examples like the "Named for" memorial texts, rare histories of rare subjects in the Civil War.
— Submitted April 3, 2013, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 751 times since then and 112 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on April 24, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?