Gainesville in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
University of Florida Historic Campus
Erected 1995 by Florida Heritage Landmark The Florida Department of State, Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State. (Marker Number F-360.)
Location. 29° 39.122′ N, 82° 20.512′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on W University Avenue (State Road 26) near NW 15th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gainesville FL 32603, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Florida Extension (approx. ¼ mile away); Gatorade's Birthplace (approx. Alachua General Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Gainesville's Railroads / Past Railroads of Gainesville (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mt. Carmel Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Josiah T. Walls (approx. one mile away); The Bailey House (approx. one mile away); Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
Regarding University of Florida Historic Campus. National Register of Historic Places:
University of Florida Campus Historic District (added 1989 - - #89000322)
Also known as See
Bounded by W. University Ave., US 441/SW. 13th St., Stadium Rd., and North-South Dr. , Gainesville
♦ Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Weaver, Rudolph; Fulton, Guy C., Edwards,William A.
♦ Architectural Style: Late Gothic Revival, Other
♦ Area of Significance: Education, Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1950-1974, 1925-1949, 1900-1924
♦ Historic Function: Education
♦ Historic Sub-function: College
♦ Current Function: Education
Buckman Hall (added 1974 - - #74000609)
Thomas Hall (added 1974 - - #74000610)
Anderson Hall (added 1979 - - #79000652)
Bryan Hall (added 1979 - - #79000653)
Flint Hall (added 1979 - - #79000654)
Floyd Hall (added 1979 - - #79000655)
Norman Hall (added 1990- -#:89002302)
Also see . . .
1. The University of Florida Campus Historic District , Wikipedia entry. a historic district on the campus of the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida...encompasses approximately 650 acres (2.6 km2) and contains 11 listed buildings plus contributing properties....Destroyed buildings in the district:
Johnson Hall (originally known as University Commons) was UFs original dining hall). Located west of Dauer, it was designed by William Augustus Edwards, built 1912 and burned 1987. The Academic Advising Center now occupies the site.
Old Benton Hall (originally the Engineering Building), was designed by William Augustus Edwards, built 1911 and demolished 1966. Grinter Hall, built in 1971, now occupies the site.
Original Post Office, third building on campus, demolished before 1977 to make way for General Purpose Building A, now Turlington Hall. (Submitted on April 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. University of Florida,. In 1853, the state-funded East Florida Seminary took over the Kingsbury Academy in Ocala. The seminary moved to Gainesville in the 1860s and later was consolidated with the states land-grant Florida Agricultural College, then in Lake City. In 1905, by legislative action, the college became a university and was moved to Gainesville. Classes first met with 102 students on the present site on Sept. 26, 1906. UF officially opened its doors to women in 1947. With more than 50,000 students, UF is now one of the largest universities in the nation. (Submitted on April 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
3. UF Historic Sites Guide. Twenty UF buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on April 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 700 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.