Watsonville in Santa Cruz County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The City of Watsonville
Once a Village Named Pájaro
Years later in 1852, a small village name Pájaro was laid out along a narrow and dusty stagecoach road which wound through the Pájaro Valley and over the Pájaro River to Monterey County. Merchants came to the valley, many from mining fields, bringing their wagons full of goods. Tents and small roughly framed buildings sprang up on the main street first called Pájaro Street. Spanish cattle often were herded through the village and stopped to graze in an open field which was to become the City Plaza. Men were hanged for horse stealing and murder and sometimes they could be seen hanging from the wooden bridge that crossed the Pájaro River.
Pájaro was renamed Watsonville for one of the early pioneers of the Pájaro Valley, Judge John Howard Watson, and incorporated in 1868.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Juan Caspar de Portolá Expedition marker series.
Location. 36° 54.518′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 250 Main Street, Watsonville CA 95076, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Porter Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Year to Remember in Watsonville (about 600 feet away); This Gun Was Used (about 800 feet away); The Lettunich Building (about 800 feet away); The Mansion House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Judge Julius Lee House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Where Strawberries are Sweeter (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Apple Annual (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Watsonville.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.