Watsonville in Santa Cruz County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Mansion House
418 Main Street
Many of the old hotel’s registers have been saved and include such signatures as General Tom Thumb, and Ulysses S. Grant. In 1900 it would have cost $2.00 to spend the night, and free busses would have taken guests to and from the train station.
In 1906, Mateo and M.N. Lettunich purchased the property. They decided to move the hotel north 110 feet and build an office building in its place. In 1914 the old hotel was jacked up and lowered onto a series of 100 feet long log rollers. As it inched along and one log would roll out from the back of the building, it would be picked up and placed under the front.
In 1978, the Mansion House was doomed for the wrecking ball but was saved when the owners donated it to the Pájaro Valley Historical Association. It has been sold various times since. The Mansion House is one of the oldest wooden buildings in the heart of downtown Watsonville.
Location. 36° 54.62′ N, 121° 45.433′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 Main Street, Watsonville CA 95076, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. This Gun Was Used (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lettunich Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Where Strawberries are Sweeter (within shouting distance of this marker); A Year to Remember in Watsonville (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Apple Annual (about 700 feet away); Porter Building (about 700 feet away); The City of Watsonville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Judge Julius Lee House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Watsonville.
More about this marker. Mansion House is located across the street from the marker at 418 Main Street.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 26, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.