Georgetown in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The American Hotel
Built in 1863
Served as – hotel, rooming house, sanitarium and private residence during mining era.
Burned in 1897 fire, rebuilt in 1899.
Erected 1984 by Native Daughters of the Golden West, Parlor No, 186.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 54.423′ N, 120° 50.295′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Orleans Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Orleans Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6600 Orleans Street, Georgetown CA 95634, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American River Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown Blues (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown - Pride of the Sierra / Growlersburg / E Clampus Vitus (within shouting distance of this marker); Miners Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown Volunteer Firemen Chief Jack Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown Firehouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Regarding The American Hotel. The inn is currently operated as the American River Inn - Bed & Breakfast. There are 13 guest rooms and suites, decorated in Country Victorian.
Also see . . .
1. The American River Inn. A short history of the inn is offered on the Inn's website. (Submitted on April 26, 2012.)
2. Virtual Tour. Views of the inn, its quest rooms, public rooms and surrounding area. (Submitted on April 26, 2012.)
1. The American Hotel
The Round Tent Saloon and gambling establishment on this corner was replaced by the Sharp residence, soon to be converted to the Orleans House. In 1862, Sam Currier bought the hotel and renamed it the American House.
Raymond Bundshuh and George Heuser changed the name to the American Hotel in 1869. Heuser’s widow married Bundshuh, and continued to operate the hotel until after his death.
In April 1899, flames in the hotel chimney spread throughout the hotel and several adjacent buildings. Mrs. Brundshuh immediately rebuilt and reopened for business in December 1899. After her death in 1900 the building remained vacant for several years. In 1916 it was converted to a tuberculosis sanitarium, in 1920 it became a farm bureau hall, and thirteen years later converted back to a hotel.
It later became a private residence, and then it 1973 it was restored and converted to a bed & breakfast.
Source: Georgetown Waking Tour Brochure
— Submitted April 26, 2012.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 421 times since then. Last updated on April 26, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.