Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Charles W. Woodworth House
designated in 1993
Woodworth, a professor of entomology, helped develop the University of California’s College of Agriculture and the City of Berkeley’s first public library. A world traveler, he spent three years in China organizing mosquito abatement efforts. He designed and was assembling a powerful telescope in his backyard when he died in 1940.
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 51.715′ N, 122° 15.787′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Carleton Street west of Ellsworth Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2237 Carleton Street, Berkeley CA 94704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Davis-Byrne Building (approx. ¼ mile away); The Shuman Block J. Gorman & Son Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Barker Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Soda Works Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mrs. E.P. (Stella) King Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); McCreary-Greer House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Howard Automobile Company (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Also see . . . Charles W. Woodworth - UC Mosquito Research Program. A native of Champaign, Ill., Woodworth received his bachelor's degree in 1885 and his master's degree in 1886 from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. His career includes studying at Harvard University under H. A. Hagen, then considered the leading entomologist in the United States. (Submitted on April 22, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 474 times since then. Last updated on April 26, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 22, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.