Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Lee in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Willat/Fox & Triangle Studios

Linwood Avenue • Fort Lee, NJ.

 

—Film History Was Made Here —

 
Willat/Fox & Triangle Studios Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 25, 2012
1. Willat/Fox & Triangle Studios Marker
Inscription.
          The Willat Film Manufacturing Corp. began assembling property at the northwest corner of Main Street and Linwood Avenue in 1913, and by 1915 owned three lots occupying nearly half this block. Carl A. Willatowski, a film pioneer known throughout the industry as “Doc” Willat (for his degree in veterinary medicine) built a film laboratory and two large vaulted greenhouse-style stages here. With his partners, Adam Kessel and Charles Baumann, Willat rented his facilities to the growing number of feature file producers active in the New York and New Jersey area.

          William Fox used the Willat stages as his first permanent studio, and his greatest star, Theda Bara, made some of her most important films here, including “Carmen” (1915, directed by Raoul Walsh) and “Romeo and Juliet” (1916). Space was also rented by Triangle/Fine Arts, a west coast producer which needed a studio in the east.

          In 1916, “Fatty” Arbuckle, whose Keystone comedies were released by Triangle, made a series of short comedies here, including He Did and He Didn’t”, “The Other Man”, “The Waiters’ Ball”, andA Reckless Romeo.” That same year, Triangle’s most
Willat/Fox & Triangle Studios Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 25, 2012
2. Willat/Fox & Triangle Studios Marker
important feature film star, Douglas Fairbanks, made The Habit of Hapiness here, under the direction of Allan Dwan. After 1917, the facility was used mainly for developing and printing motion picture film, and eventually became known as the National Evans Film Laboratory. It was destroyed by a spectacular fire in 1925.
 
Location. 40° 51.29′ N, 73° 58.456′ W. Marker is in Fort Lee, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Linwood Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in Constitution Park in Fort Lee. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Lee NJ 07024, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Éclair Studios (within shouting distance of this marker); F. F. Fred Cavaliere (within shouting distance of this marker); World/Peerless & Metropolitan Studios (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge (about 400 feet away); Washington’s Retreat to Victory (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Washington’s Retreat to Victory (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Washington’s Retreat to Victory (approx. 0.3 miles away); Solax Studios (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Lee.
 
More about this marker.
Marker in Constitution Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 25, 2012
3. Marker in Constitution Park
Several images appear on the marker, including a photo of Willat/Fox & Triangle Studios on Main Street & Linwood Avenue, Glass Slides of Triangle & Fox productions shot here, a photo of Theda Bara at the Willat/Fox Studio (1917), and a Lobby Card for Fox’s “Miss U.S.A.” (1917) with June Caprice.
Along the bottom of the marker are a series of pictures featuring Faces of Willat/Fox & Triangle Studios. These include C.A. “Doc” Willat (Studio Owner), “Fatty” Arbuckle (Actor/Director), Mabel Normand (Actress), Raoul Walsh (Director), Theda Bara (Actress), William Fox (Fox Films Chief), Douglas Fairbanks (Actor), and June Caprice (Actress)
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicIndustry & Commerce
 
Constitution Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 25, 2012
4. Constitution Park
The Willat/Fox & Triangle Studios marker is located in Constitution Park in Fort Lee.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 27, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement