Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Civil War Armory

 
 
Civil War Armory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
1. Civil War Armory Marker
Inscription.
Built in 1862
for the
Georgetown Home Guard

 
Erected 1976 by Growlersburg Chapter 86, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 54.356′ N, 120° 50.368′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Lower Main Street (aka Wentworth Springs Road) north of Georgetown Road (California Highway 193), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6261 Wentworth Springs Road, Georgetown CA 95634, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wells Fargo Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Balsar House / I.O.O.F Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Shannon Knox House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Georgetown Volunteer Firemen (about 300 feet away); Chief Jack Anderson (about 300 feet away); Georgetown (about 300 feet away); Georgetown Firehouse (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Additional comments.
Civil War Armory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
2. Civil War Armory Marker
1. Civil War Armory

During the early years of the Civil War, California businessmen feared the intrusion of Southern troops seeking the rich gold resources. Northern military agreed, and established "home guards" in gold country communities. The Georgetown Blues formed as a military group in 1859 as Georgetown's Union Guard, but wasn't officially recognized until 1863.
The Armory building was constructed in 1862 as an office and storage facility for the Blues. At the war's end the building was used for storage. It was damaged in the 1869 fire and then sat vacant.
In 1881, the building was remodeled for use as a Catholic Church and the priest's residence and study.
In 1934, it became the Post Office and residence of the Postmistress, Mrs. Lempi Kivi Aho.
The building is now used for commercial purposes.
Source: Georgetown Walking Tour Brochure
    — Submitted April 28, 2012.

 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Civil War Armory image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
3. Civil War Armory
The marker is seen mounted on a base below the window.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 551 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement