Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Wells Fargo Building

 
 
Wells Fargo Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
1. Wells Fargo Building Marker
Inscription.
Wells Fargo Building
and State Stop

Built in 1852

 
Erected by Growlersburg Chapter 86, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 54.366′ N, 120° 50.356′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Lower Main Street (aka Wentworth Springs Road) and Placer Street, on the right when traveling south on Lower Main Street (aka Wentworth Springs Road). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6265 Wentworth Springs Road, Georgetown CA 95634, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgetown Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Armory (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown Volunteer Firemen (within shouting distance of this marker); Chief Jack Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown Firehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Balsar House / I.O.O.F Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Miners Club (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Additional comments.
1. Ditch Company
Wells Fargo Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
2. Wells Fargo Building and Marker
The marker is mounted on the front of the building between the entrance door and the windows.
Building

Adams & Co. Express office opened on this site in 1853, but went bankrupt within two years. It became a banking house, with the terminal of the Alta Telegraph Line branch from Coloma to Georgetown located inside. It burned in 1856, and was rebuilt in as a Post Office and book store, but burned again in 1869. The current structure, built in 1870, was purchased by the California Water and Mining Company in 1872, then remained the headquarters until 1945. It also served as the town telephone office from 1934 - 1939.
Source: Georgetown Walking Tour Brochure
    — Submitted April 28, 2012.

 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 472 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement