Shullsburg in Lafayette County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Historical Badger Park
In 1934, during Dr. Henry F. Hoesley’s term as mayor, the city council bought the land for Badger Park. It was a WPA project, approved by the U.S. Government, started September 1935 and completed without costing the taxpayers one extra cent in taxes. The shelter houses and bathhouse are of native stone and built to stand.
Shullsburg City Council
Mayor – Dr. Henry F. Hoesley
Charles Taylor - Thomas T. Richards
Dr. J.C. Hanifan
John I. McQuiety
Dr. S.A.J. Ennis
WPA --- Approved 1935
Erected 1935 by Shullsburg City Council.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 42° 34.298′ N, 90° 14.1′ W. Marker is in Shullsburg, Wisconsin, in Lafayette County. Marker is at the intersection of West Water Steet and South Galena Street, on the right when traveling north on West Water Steet. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shullsburg WI 53586, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Badger Mine – Badger Lot Diggings (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Historical Badger Park (about 700 feet away); Saint Matthew Catholic Parish (approx. ¼ mile away); Wisconsin Lead Region (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Old Chicago Stageroad (approx. 2.4 miles away); St. Augustine Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Father Samuel Mazzuchelli (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shullsburg.
More about this marker. An identical marker is located on the opposite side of the park.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.