Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Aﬀra Harleston Coming
Affra Harleston Coming
pioneered the settling of this state.
Coming by herself from England in 1670 as a
bonded servent and serving a two year
indenture to pay for her passage, she afterwards married
John Coming, First Mate of the ship Carolina.
While her husband was often at sea, Affra, despite danger
from disease and often hostile Indians, cleared
lands, planted crops and managed a remote plantation.
In 1698, after Captain Coming's death
Affra deeded seventeen acres of her Charleston lands
to the rector of St. Philip's Episcopal Church
and his seccessors "in consideration
of the love and duty I have, and owe to the church...
to promote and encourage ... good charitable
and pious ... work." She died not long afterwards.
The glebe, surrounded by St. Philips, Coming,
George and Beaufain Streets, is a living reminder
of the vision and character of
Carolina's first settlers.
Erected by the Society of First Families of
South Carolina 1670 - 1700
Location. 32° 46.904′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. President's House ( within shouting distance of this marker); Kornahrens-Guenveur House ( approx. 0.2 miles away); College of Charleston ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Nine College Way ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Pollitzer House ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Fielding Home for Funerals ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Cameron House ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Riviera Theatre ( approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding Affra Harleston Coming. Glebe Street is named for the Glebe Lands, a tract of 17 acres which Affra Harleston Coming gave to the Minister of the Church of England in Charles Town, and his successors in 1698. The Glebe Lands were divided into lots, with large space reserved for the parsonage of St. Philip's church, in 1770. The parsonage lot was further subdivided and Glebe Street was cut through the block in 1797 (Today, fringing on the College of Charleston campuses)
Also see . . . South Carolina Plantations. Comingtee (Submitted on May 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 662 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 15, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.