Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Belding in Ionia County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Alvah N. Belding Library

 
 
Alvah N. Belding Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cameron Zwart, May 5, 2012
1. Alvah N. Belding Library Marker
Inscription. Alvah N. Belding erected this library in 1917/18 as a memorial to his parents, Hiram and Mary Wilson Belding. Alvah and his brother Hiram began peddling silk around Belding (then Patterson's Mills) in 1858. With the help of their brother Milo they began the internationally known Belding Bros. & Company in 1863. Michigan's first silk mill was erected here in 1886 and operated until 1932. This library, which cost $50,000, was dedicated and presented to the City of Belding on May 14, 1918. It is the only structure built by the Beldings still being used for its original purpose. An example of Classical Revival architecture, the limestone structure features a Spanish-tile roof. Its interior contains trim of marble oak and pine.
 
Erected 1981 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 816.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 5.875′ N, 85° 13.577′ W. Marker is in Belding, Michigan, in Ionia County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Hanover Street, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 E Main St, Belding MI 48809, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Alvah N. Belding Library image. Click for full size.
By Cameron Zwart, May 5, 2012
2. Alvah N. Belding Library
At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belrockton Dormitory (within shouting distance of this marker); Pere Marquette Railway Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smyrna (approx. 3.3 miles away); Greenville (approx. 6 miles away); White's Bridge (approx. 6.8 miles away); Alton Pioneer Village (approx. 8 miles away); Fallasburg Pioneer Village (approx. 9.3 miles away); John Wesley Fallas House / John W. Fallas (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belding.
 
Also see . . .
1. Alvah N. Belding Memorial Library. Center for Geographic Information (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.) 

2. Alvah N. Belding Memorial Library. Belding Library (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement