Trenton in Gibson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Gibson County Confederate Memorial
Erected 1907 by Russell-Hill Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 35° 58.854′ N, 88° 56.491′ W. Marker is in Trenton, Tennessee, in Gibson County. Marker is at the intersection of Eaton Street (Tennessee Route 104, 77) and College Street (U.S. 45), on the left when traveling east on Eaton Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton TN 38382, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fighting for Trenton (here, next to this marker); Gibson County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); David Crockett (within shouting distance of this marker); Female Collegiate Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fighting for Trenton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Forrest at Trenton Fighting for Trenton (approx. ¾ mile away); C.S.A. Camp Trenton (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
More about this marker. Memorial is on the southeast lawn of the courthouse. It was relocated here in 1916.
1. Description of Monument.
A confederate soldier standing at parade rest. He wears a uniform which includes a brimmed hat. He holds the barrel of a rifle with both hands. The butt of the rifle rests on the plinth at his feet. His proper left leg is slightly bent and his proper left foot is slightly forward on the plinth.
From the Smithsonian American Art Museum
— Submitted November 4, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 388 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 11, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.