Colesville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Smithville Colored School
A Julius Rosenwald School
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 39° 4.526′ N, 76° 59.706′ W. Marker is in Colesville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on East Randolph Road east of New Hampshire Avenue (Maryland Route 650), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. It is just before Fairland Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 811 East Randolph Road, Silver Spring MD 20904, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kemp Mill (approx. 1.9 miles away); Rachel Carson House (approx. 2 miles away); The Harper Family Homestead (approx. 2.3 miles away); Reforestation (approx. 2.9 miles away); Cisterns (approx. 3 miles away); Rachel Carson (approx. 3.1 miles away); Burnt Mills (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mother Jones (approx. 3.7 miles away).
1. Who donated the land for the school in 1927
My step-dad was Rufus W. Johnson, son of Charles L. Johnson. Charles donated the 2.0 acres of land for the Smithville Colored School September 22, 1927. He donated the land so that the local children could receive an education.
It is a little disappointing that Charles Johnson's name is not in the remarks on the marker.
In 1999 Rufus Johnson received a letter from Robert Merryman assuring him that the donation would be memorialized.
We are so pleased that the school has become a museum in 2005, but regret that Charles name was left off of the marker. Perhaps this oversight will be corrected. If not for the generous contribution of Charles Johnson, there would not have been a Smithville Colored School. (Mr. Johnson's late wife who passed in 1915, maiden name was Smith).
— Submitted October 4, 2013, by Yvonne Robinson of Kerrville, Texas.
Categories. • 20th Century • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,912 times since then and 143 times this year. Last updated on May 12, 2012, by John J Hollowell of Port Republic, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 2, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.