Near Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
U.S. Army Signal Corps Building
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15094.)
Location. 29° 18.294′ N, 100° 25.468′ W. Marker is near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is at the intersection of McClain Road and Grant Avenue, on the right when traveling south on McClain Road. Touch for map. Marker is located on Fort Clark Springs in the Fort Clark National Register Historic District and is accessible to the public. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 McClain Road, Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Staff Officers' Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Adjutant's Quarters (Quarters #20) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commanding Officer's Quarters (was about 500 feet away but has been reported missing. ); Officers' Row Quarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Married Officers' Quarters 8-9 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Officers Quarters 2-3 and 4 (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1873 Infantry Barracks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Clark Post Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brackettville.
Regarding U.S. Army Signal Corps Building. This unique special purpose building was once home to soldiers of the fort’s Signal Corps detachment.
Fort Clark’s earliest recorded “signal” accomplishment was the first telegraph line from the fort to the Menger Hotel in San Antonio completed by 2nd Lieutenant William Paulding of the 10th Infantry in September 1875. A Signal Corps detachment was first assigned to Fort Clark in January 1906. From that date the Signal Corps was vital “permanent party” for the garrison. Advances in military signal communications from the original telegraph, to carrier pigeons, to the telephone, the radio, and radio teletype saw the Signal Corps play an increasingly
In the years leading up to World War II, the importance of rapid communications was recognized and massive strides made in the development of communications equipment. Rather than being an adjunct to other signal corps functions, specialized facilities were needed to house this equipment and the personnel trained in its use.
Fort Clark’s signal building carried building number 95 during its Army service. Construction was carried out in two phases, beginning in 1931-32 when the post experienced a number of major construction projects. Twentieth century construction on the fort continued to acknowledge the abundance of locally available stone although the method of construction varied from that of the earlier buildings. Construction is tile brick veneered with an irregular cut field stone and a plain mortar joint, the same style as other permanent buildings built on the fort during the 1930’s.
Today the building has been adapted for use as family housing and its exterior sympathetically altered by the filling in with native stone of two door openings and a window, front and rear porches, and a carport, all these minor modifications were accomplished using original
As a special purpose service support building the signal building ranks equally with the hospital, commissary, motor pool, and stables as a crucial post facility performing the unique essential function of managing the communications and information systems support for the command and control of the garrison. This building may well be one of only a handful of signal corps facilities remaining from the “quiet time” between the world wars on any army post in the nation.
Also see . . . Friends of the Fort Clark Historic District. Guided tours, presentations and programs, genealogical and archival research assistance ... and much more. (Submitted on August 13, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Categories. • Communications • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 613 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 13, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.