Catonsville in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
From Stagecoaches to Horseless Carriages
The Catonsville Short Line Railroad was next. Starting in 1884, a steam engine pulled passenger and freight cars through the countryside to a depot on Frederick Road.
In the 1890s, trolley cars hooked up to electric lines strung everywhere throughout Baltimore. For the next seven decades, the flashing sparks and swaying cars were a regular part of urban life, linking suburbs like Catonsville to the entire Baltimore area.
Meanwhile, a romance with the horseless carriage swept through the country. Today, the automobile has made Catonsville a distinct modern suburb.
Erected by America's Byways.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 16.125′ N, 76° 44.846′ W. Marker is in Catonsville, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Frederick Road (Maryland Route 144), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Catonsville MD 21228, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Streetcar Era in Catonsville (a few steps from this marker); Rolling Road (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baltimore Regional Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Castle Thunder (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Catonsville (approx. ¾ mile away); This Memorial is Dedicated to all the Men and Women of the Catonsville area (approx. 0.8 miles away); 6-Mile Marker on the National Road (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Salem Church and Graveyard (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Catonsville.
More about this marker. Along the bottom of the marker are three pictures.
The picture on the far left carries the caption, "A No. 8 streetcar leaves the Catonsville station heading east on the national Road during the First World War. Trolley cars were the lifeline to all of Baltimore until the automobile put them in museums."
The center picture identifies that, "Catonsville’s Terminal Hotel, photographed in 1895, was located where the restaurant now stands to the left. It was the last stop on the horse-car railway introduced during the Civil War."
The picture on the far right is captioned, "Riding along the 700 block of Frederick Road in a horseless carriage c. 1915."
Also see . . . Catonsville: From Stagecoaches to Horseless Carriages. PDF version of the marker. (Submitted on March 12, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,441 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.