Ellicott City in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Firehouse Museum
town’s first fire department.
It served as a working fire station
from that date until 1923.
Subsequent usage included:
Utilization as a meeting hall for the Mayor and City Council of Ellicott City; Offices of the Howard County Welfare Department, Sanitation Department, Health Department, and as a branch of the Howard County Public Library.
In 1989 the building was restored to its original appearance and in 1991 opened as the Firehouse Museum.
Location. 39° 16.059′ N, 76° 47.905′ W. Marker is in Ellicott City, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker is on Church Road just north of Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3829 Church Road, Ellicott City MD 21043, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Howard House Hotel ( within shouting distance of this marker); Baltimore Regional Trail ( within shouting distance of this marker); Walker-Chandler House ( within shouting distance of this marker); Taylor's Row ( within shouting distance of this marker); Sunflower Church The Odd Fellows Lodge ( about 400 feet away); The Patapsco National Bank ( about 600 feet away); Second Patapsco Bank Building ( about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellicott City.
Regarding The Firehouse Museum. The Firehouse Museum houses a wide array of fire apparatus, model toys, and an impressive visual history of Howard County’s Volunteer Fire Department. The firehouse was constructed by volunteers in 1889 and after 1923 used as a meeting hall, county office space, and library reading room before opening as a museum. Visit the Firehouse Museum Saturday and Sunday at 1-4 PM, April through December.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 15, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 15, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.