Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tilden in Chippewa County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Saint Peter's Catholic Church

 
 
Saint Peter's Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, May 9, 2012
1. Saint Peter's Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. In the early 1850's, settlers from Rhine, Bavaria, Bohemia, and Luxembourg came to this part of Wisconsin now known as Tilden Township. They vowed to build a church in honor of the "Blessed Virgin Mother of God" giving thanks for their safe voyage to the new country.

The first priest to the settlers in Tilden was Father Migneault in 1857. The next year he was succeeded by Father Smedding, who organized St. Peter's congregation. In 1860 he laid the foundation for a new church building.

A month after Bishop Michael Heis of LaCrosse confirmed a class of 55 children, he appointed Father A. Koke as the first resident pastor on July 31, 1869. That October, Parochial school classes began when father Franz Stoffel began teaching in the church. The School Sisters of Notre Dame arrived here on March 1, 1872.

In May 1875, a new St. Peter's Church resembling a miniature Roman basilica, was built on the present site. Father Joseph Reister had the present school building built in 1905.

Parishioners decided in 1941 that a new church was needed and the old structure was taken down. The present church building you are looking at was built and dedicated in 1942. St. Peter's has played a vital role in the spiritual life of this area as the congregation continues to worship and serve God.

Chippewa
Saint Peter's Catholic Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, May 9, 2012
2. Saint Peter's Catholic Church and Marker
County Historical Society
Marker Sign #30

 
Erected by Chippewa County Historical Society. (Marker Number 30.)
 
Location. 45° 0.329′ N, 91° 26.295′ W. Marker is in Tilden, Wisconsin, in Chippewa County. Marker is on County Highway Q 0.1 miles north of County Highway B, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11358 County Highway Q, Chippewa Falls WI 54729, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Farm in Chippewa County ( approx. 1.4 miles away); Nation's First Cooperative Generating Station ( approx. 2.4 miles away); Stanley's Mill ( approx. 2.6 miles away); Pioneer Norwegian Log Home ( approx. 4 miles away); Sunny Valley School ( approx. 4 miles away); Bear Den Road Bridge ( approx. 4.1 miles away); William Irvine ( approx. 4.3 miles away); In Memory of Old Abe ( approx. 4.4 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
Saint Peter's Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, May 9, 2012
3. Saint Peter's Catholic Church
Fallen Soldiers image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, May 9, 2012
4. Fallen Soldiers
We honor these soldiers of Tilden who have died fighting for our Country WWI Paul Bowe WWII Eryle Boettcher WWII Gilbert Rubenzer WWII Arthur McDonald WWII Elmer Wittrock V/N Bernard Meinen Jr. Donated By: Tilden Lions Club
Nearby School Building image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, May 9, 2012
5. Nearby School Building
St. Peter Catholic School
Saint Peter's Catholic Church and School image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, May 9, 2012
6. Saint Peter's Catholic Church and School
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 16, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement