Mackinac Island in Mackinac County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Highest point on the island, 325 feet above the straits and 168 feet above Fort Mackinac.
Built by the British soon after the capture of Fort Mackinac, July 17, 1812. British named it Fort George, after the reigning English King, George III. Renamed by the Americans Fort Holmes, after Major Andrew Hunter Holmes, who was killed in the Battle of Mackinac Island, August 4, 1814, in an attempt to take the fort from the British. The blockhouse, central feature of the fort, was destroyed by the Americans after the war, but was later restored. Destroyed by fire in 1933, restored to its original form by the Mackinac Island State Park Commission, 1936.
Erected by Mackinac Island State Park Commission.
Location. 45° 51.48′ N, 84° 36.993′ W. Marker is in Mackinac Island, Michigan, in Mackinac County. Marker can be reached from Fort Holmes Road half a mile south of Garrison Road. Touch for map. Located in Mackinac State Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7029 Huron Rd, Mackinac Island MI 49757, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Holmes (here, next to this marker); Skull Cave (about 600 feet away, measured Post Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greany Grove (approx. 0.3 miles away); Scout Barracks / Parade Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Fort Mackinac (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Cass Cliff" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Nicolet Watch Tower (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mackinac Island.
Also see . . . Fort Holmes. Wikipedia (Submitted on May 16, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 16, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?