Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Keokuk in Lee County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Estes House

 
 
The Estes House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 19, 2012
1. The Estes House Marker
Inscription.
used as a hospital
for Soldiers of the Civil War
Apr. 17, 1862 – Oct. 1, 1865
Occupied this site

 
Erected 1929 by The Iowa Department Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War '61 - '65.
 
Location. 40° 23.746′ N, 91° 23.015′ W. Marker is in Keokuk, Iowa, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and South 5th Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the northwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Keokuk IA 52632, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Permanent Jewish House of Worship in Iowa (approx. 0.2 miles away); National Association for Music Education (approx. 0.2 miles away); Welcome to Illinois (approx. 1.7 miles away in Illinois); Thy Wondrous Story, Illinois (approx. 3.8 miles away in Illinois); The First Fort Des Moines (approx. 9.6 miles away); Nauvoo, Illinois (approx. 9.9 miles away in Illinois); Nauvoo House (approx. 10 miles away in Illinois); Bidamon Stable (approx. 10 miles away in Illinois). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Keokuk.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
The Estes House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 19, 2012
2. The Estes House Marker
The Estes House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 19, 2012
3. The Estes House Marker
Historic Time Capsule at base of marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 19, 2012
4. Historic Time Capsule at base of marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 614 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement