Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2008
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15039.)
Location. 29° 18.691′ N, 100° 25.101′ W. Marker is in Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is at the intersection of North Street and Fritter Street, on the left when traveling north on North Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Las Moras Masonic Lodge Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kinney County Courthouse Fort Clark, CSA (about 400 feet away); Kinney County Jail (about 500 feet away); Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Filippone Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carver School Grounds (approx. 0.2 miles away); Las Moras Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brackettville.
Regarding Partrick Building. “The Partrick building is one of the handsomest in town …!” A fitting observation, from 1907, of a building that is not only architecturally pleasing but also made a noteworthy contribution to the commercial glory days of the community.
The only biographical information on William R. Partrick, the first owner and proprietor of the “Partrick Hotel” property, is found in the description of “Kinney County, Brackett, Fort Clark, Spofford” written by J. S. Morin and published by Charles Kartes in Brackett in 1907:
Dr. W. R. Partrick. Among the well known business men and citizens of Brackett is found Dr. W. R. Partrick, who has been a resident of the town since
Dr. Partrick’s Civil War service and medical credentials cannot be verified, however, his prominence in the community was apparently well established over nearly four decades of residence. He purchased the vacant Lot 1 in Block 5 from S. B. Smith in 1884. By the next year he had completed a fine limestone building, as evidenced by the year “1885” carved into the building’s keystone.
Today, no one ever heard of Doctor William R. Partrick, but they know his building, because it has
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on May 17, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 6, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.