Chicago in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Chief of the Potawatomi, Chippewa, and Ottawa Indians
Who died April 22, 1872
Catherine (Chevalier) his wife
who died August 7, 1860
and other members of their family
are buried on this spot -
Part of the Reservation granted him
By the Treaty of Prairie Du Chien
July 29, 1829
In gratitude for his aid to the family
of John Kinzie and to Capt. and Mrs. Heald
at the time of the Fort Dearborn Massacre
Location. 41° 58.062′ N, 87° 50.835′ W. Marker is in Chicago, Illinois, in Cook County. Marker can be reached from East River Road 0.1 miles north of West Lawerence Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is about 100 feet down a small path on the west side of East River Road. Marker is in this post office area: Harwood Heights IL 60706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burial Site of Josette Beaubien (approx. 1.8 miles away); Old Treaty Elm (approx. 5.6 miles away); Sauganash Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); First McDonald's Franchise (approx. 5.8 miles away); Charles N. Loucks House River Forest, Illinois (approx. 6.1 miles away); Harrer Park (approx. 6.1 miles away); The American Legion Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chicago.
Also see . . . Franklin Park Public Library. Robinson was instrumental in negotiating the 1812 Treaty of St. Louis and the 1829 Treaty of Prairie du Chien. For his services, he was given a tract of land along the Des Plaines River from roughly Cumberland Ave. to Ruby St. and from roughly Addison St. to Higgins Road. His last days were spent on his reserve east of River Road and north of Lawrence Ave. He died there and is buried in a family plot north of Lawrence Ave. along East River Road. (Submitted on May 18, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.)
Categories. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,074 times since then and 100 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 18, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.