Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

2nd Cavalry Division at Fort Clark

 
 
2nd Cavalry Division at Fort Clark Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, December 17, 2010
1. 2nd Cavalry Division at Fort Clark Marker
The building in the background is Recorded Texas Historic Landmark "Officer's Club Open-Mess" Dickman Hall
Inscription. In response to the U.S. experience during World War I, the army organized the 1st and 2nd Cavalry Divisions in 1921. However, the 2nd Cavalry Division was not activated until 1941 at Fort Riley, Kansas. Among the units assigned were the 9th and 10th Cavalry Regiments, the famed Buffalo Soldier units of the Indian Wars era, and two white cavalry regiments, the 2nd and 14th, thus constituting the armyís first integrated division. The War Department inactivated the division in 1942 to transfer personnel to armored regiments.

In November 1942, the War Department directed reactivation of the 2nd Cavalry Division, assigning two new black regiments, the 27th and the 28th Cavalry. It was also announced the division would be divided between Fort Clark, Texas and Camp Lockett, California. The division activated on February 25, 1943 with headquarters at Fort Clark; command of the division was given to a native Texan, Major General Harry H. Johnson. Here on Fort Clark, over 5,000 horses trained alongside M3 Stuart light tanks and both were featured in a June 1943 20th Century Fox Movietone newsreel. Troopers endured hard training and the racial injustices of the times.

The War Department determined that there was no need for a second cavalry division and planned to again inactivate it. During January 1944, the 2nd Cavalry Division
2nd Cavalry Division Activation Ceremony, Fort Clark, Texas image. Click for full size.
By U.S. Army Signal Corps, February 25, 1943
2. 2nd Cavalry Division Activation Ceremony, Fort Clark, Texas
was dismounted and shipped back east for deployment abroad, arriving at Oran, North Africa, on March 9, 1944; the division was inactivated the next day. Fort Clark was closed after the last soldiers stationed here were deployed, and the approximately 1,500 buildings which housed the 2nd Cavalry Division were later razed. Although the 2nd Cavalry Divisionís service was short lived, it remains the only all-black cavalry division in U.S. Army history and the largest mounted formation ever to serve in Texas.
 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16260.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Buffalo Soldiers marker series.
 
Location. 29° 18.428′ N, 100° 25.226′ W. Marker is near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Swim Park Lane and MacKenzie Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Fort Clark Springs Association in the Fort Clark National Register Historic District and is accessible to the public. Marker is in this post office area: Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seminole-Negro Indian Scout Detachment (a few steps from this marker); U.S. Army Unit Memorial
2nd Cavalry Division interpretive signage near marker site image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, April 30, 2012
3. 2nd Cavalry Division interpretive signage near marker site
View is from the post flagpole at the signal gun slab looking towards the marker site and Dickman Hall.
(a few steps from this marker); Officers' Club Open Mess (within shouting distance of this marker); Officers Quarters 2-3 and 4 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Clark Historic District (about 500 feet away); Fight at Las Moras Spring (about 500 feet away); Army Service Club (about 500 feet away); Married Officers' Quarters 8-9 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brackettville.
 
Regarding 2nd Cavalry Division at Fort Clark. The 2nd Cavalry Division was the “Last Tattoo” of the Buffalo Soldiers. More Buffalo Soldier units served at Fort Clark than at any post in the nation.
 
Also see . . .  Friends of the Fort Clark Historic District. Guided tours, presentations and programs, genealogical and archival research assistance ... and much more. (Submitted on August 13, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.) 
 
Categories. African AmericansWar, World II
 
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia of the 2nd Cavalry Division image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn
4. Shoulder Sleeve Insignia of the 2nd Cavalry Division
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 1,070 times since then and 101 times this year. Last updated on May 19, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.   3. submitted on April 30, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.   4. submitted on August 1, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement